Friday, August 15, 2008

The Autumn of My Year

It is starting to feel like the end of Summer now. The cicadas sing their shrill music in the tree tops, vibrating in synchronized melody. It feels like I have been sleep walking through most of this year. First with my Mother's sudden death, then my Aunt's longer passage. So I take a breath, lean my shoulders forward and push into the next years of my life, changed by the experience but determined to live well in the time I have with my own children.

Autumn seems to be as good a time as any to put some things to rest. There has been time to cry, pray, and remember. Now I lift my eyes and look forward. I cannot see what is ahead. None of us can! But I have hope. Hope that is seen is not hope. We walk by faith, not by sight.

I started this blog because I love to write. But mostly I love to write satire. I prefer to focus on the irony of life, the part that can be so comical at times. Unfortunately, this year has offered few opportunities for that. Instead it has offered little laughter, much grief, and circumstance for reflection. Growth is good, but we are all due for a healthy dose of joy. Perhaps I am ready to write again.

No comments: